Become A Professional Firefighter
The Wolfforth Fire Academy provides top-flight training for firefighters in conjunction with the Rescue School, EMS & HazMat Certifications and similar programs. Since 2003, the Academy has been helping to groom the new generation of professional firefighters
The Wolfforth Fire Academy is a certified training facility, the standards of which are outlined in the Texas Commission on Fire Protection Standards Manual, Chapter 427.
Why Wolfforth Fire Academy?
Our Academy offers a balanced combination of tactical, strategic, and practical in-the-field study and training. We know it’s crucial that we stay abreast of developments in firefighting techniques, technology and best-practice skills.
There is one other important element regarding the training our attendees receive: By far the greatest distinction we offer is the impeccable mentoring and stewardship our instructors provide Academy attendees. Our top management embraces the “leader-servant” management ethic, and seeks at every turn to inspire our attendees to excel, to think critically and to culture their own talents in the service of their new profession.
Tuition & What’s Included
Tuition for the academy is $5,500, which is segmented into a $500 dollar deposit, a balance of $5000 which is split into two payments of $2,500, payable during the Academy session.
Included in tuition is the book, curriculum manual, uniform T-shirts, uniform Polo shirts, uniform pants, uniform belt, non-live fire and live fire bunker gear. The only equipment students are required to supply is footwear; all other uniform items and equipment are provided.
Program Dates & Classes
The next Academy begins August 6, 2016. Each academy session lasts approximately five and a half months.
Class times are typically Monday through Thursday 6:00pm to 10:00pm, and every Saturday 8:00am to 5:00pm.
What’s Required For Admittance
- Submission of an application. See “How to Apply” below.
- A passing score on the entrance and ranking exam.
- An oral interview.
- Background investigation.
- Attendance of the class orientation and payment of a $500 deposit.
The exam consists of general knowledge questions concerning rational thinking, reasoning, mathematics, and tool recognition (similar questions can be found in any fire fighter entrance exam handbook, however the test requires no previous firefighter experience or knowledge.)
Applicants will be notified by email of the location and time for exam dates pertinent to upcoming Academy sessions. Tip: Be sure to provide an accurate and working email, and to monitor that email for messages from the Academy.
For those unable to test on a scheduled date, make-up exams are possible (small fee applies) by contacting Mike Henricks at 806.773.9418.
How to Apply
There are several methods through with you can make application to the Academy:
- The most efficient method is to apply online. The online electronic application will guide you step-by-step, and provides instructions and pointers so the your application will be complete when submitted.
- You can also download the .PDF version of the Application as an alternate to the online form. (It’s in the ubiquitious Adobe Accrobat format, easily viewed and printed on most computers.)
- You can pick up a paper application at Wolfforth City Hall, located at 302 Main Street in Wolfforth. You can submit a paper application by conventional mail or by emailto firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to Expect After Application
Applicants will be contacted by phone and email regarding any questions or issues discovered during the background investigations to determine their suitability for the academy. Approved applicants will be notified by email and/or phone, as appropriate.
Applicants not selected for the Academy will be contacted regarding the decision and the reasons for being declined.